Vegan Coconut Passionfruit tart…. it just makes sense, coconut and passionfruit are made to be together! This recipe came about as a bit of a happy accident, love it when that happens! I was making a creamy passionfruit slice for some friends and knowing a few are vegan I wanted to create something they could also enjoy. This vegan version turned out different than I was expecting, but it was actually better than the original recipe. Nearly everyone preferred it over the full dairy version, which is rare :p a lot of them love their cream!
Another great thing about this Vegan Coconut Passionfruit Tart (that is a mouthful I just realised) is that a lot of vegan pies and desserts need to be kept chilled or they start to melt. This can be a bit hard for the Queensland summer! This tart will be fine left at room temperature, and I think perfect to bring to a picnic or BBQ.
- For the Crust:
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- ½ cup melted vegan butter
- For the Filling:
- 1 x 395g can of coconut condensed milk
- ⅔ cup desiccated coconut
- ¾ cup passionfruit pulp
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 170'C and line a pie or tart pan with some baking paper.
- For the crust mix together all the ingredients until sticky crumbs form. You may need to add a little coconut - I find vegan butters vary in their moisture. Press into the tart pan to make your base.
- Bake for 10 -14 minutes, just until the edges are golden brown. Remove and allow to cool.
- For the Filling, mix condensed milk, coconut and passionfruit in a large bowl. In a separate bowl mix lemon juice and cornstarch together and then add into passionfruit mix.
- Pour into the cooled crust and bake for around 25 minutes, just until the middle is starting to set., it will set more as it cools so a little wobble is good.
- Remove and when cool it can be refrigerated or served at room temperature.